How To Build Your Dream Career
Building Your Dream Career
PODCAST # 08
In the eighth episode of the podcast, Aamir Qutub talks about how you can unlock the passion and things that you can do to take your career progression to the next level.
Watch the video or keep reading below to find out how you can develop a plan to build your dreams and achieve them.
Here's the video
Building Your Dream
Importance of Hybrid Skills (2:36)
- A mix of technical and soft knowledge is known as hybrid skills. Now, hybrid skills can vary depending on many factors, including actual jobs, business, or industry.
- For example, very few employers now look for administrative support staff who can greet visitors, answer phones, and organize files. Employers need administrative staff with a hybrid skill set that includes social media, updating websites, designing presentation materials, and manipulating spreadsheets and database programs.
- Hybrid skills are important because people who have traditionally held soft skill-oriented jobs will benefit from cultivating hard skills by showing their employees they can adapt and keep pace with the technological developments of today.
Helpful tips to learn coding efficiently (11:11)
DOWNLOAD THE CAREER BOOSTER TOOLKIT
Before you move on, download your copy of the Career Booster Toolkit.
Use this Toolkit to assess yourself and open up new opportunities, which you may not have noticed.
- Online Learning Platforms
- Start working as a freelancer
One can gain experience through freelance working. One perk of being a freelance programmer is the abundance of work in the market. However, there is a shortage of programmers freelancing in the industry. As a result, this opens the door to managing a consistent volume of work.
Why is teamwork better than working solo? (18:53)
- Working in teams increases collaboration and allows for brainstorming. As a result, more ideas are developed, and productivity improves,
- Two or more people are always better than one for solving problems, finishing off difficult tasks and increasing creativity,
- Everyone is unique and has different skills, backgrounds, and experiences. Therefore, others in a team can help you see things from a different angle.
Why following passion is important than following trend? (25:28)
- If enthusiasm and passion are present, people tend to be more resilient when they encounter obstacles,
- People who are passionate about what they do, rather than just “in it for the money,” tend to be people who have more positive outlooks and able to overcome difficulty through problem-solving.
Also, the more passionate someone is about their job, the more inclined they are to work hard on self-improvement, increasing their chances of success.
How you can find the right direction that will lead you to success? (31:31)
The great keys to success to change your life have always been the same:
- Decide exactly what you want and where you want to go.
- Set a deadline and make a plan to get there. (Remember, a goal is just a dream with a deadline.)
- Take action on your plan; do something every day to move toward your goal.
- Resolve in advance that you will persist until you succeed, that you will never, ever give up.
How you can pass the TOEFL exam with flying colors? (36:39)
- The TOEFL is the Test of English as a Foreign Language. It is an English proficiency test produced by an American company called ETS. It measures your English reading, listening, speaking, and writing skills, and your ability to succeed at an English-speaking university.
- This exam consists of four parts: Writing, Listening, Speaking, and Reading.
- Keep practicing so you can ace the exam. Start reading novels, newspaper, magazines to broaden your vocabulary horizon and for the speaking part, you can practice by recording yourself and talking in front of the mirror.
Ways to get a job without campus placement ( 39:31)
The fun-filled (and academic!) days of college are over, but sadly you didn’t get a campus placement. Often it may feel like the end of the planet, but don’t get lost in depression; there are still many ways to transform this rock to be a step toward your future.
- Off-Campus Placements
- Government Jobs
How to find angel investors at the early stage of your business? (41:05)
- Startup angel investors are part of the private sector. However, angel investors are usually individuals rather than private firms, so investments tend to be smaller – think $25,000 to $100,000.
- These players invest in you with the expectation of a high return on investment (ROI) and may choose to play a larger role in your startup by requesting input on daily operations.
- Angel investors may also ask for a seat on your board of directors.
- One can find angel investors at the early stage of business by joining Angel Investors groups in their city, or by networking with them through LinkedIn.
Wrapping it up
It’s certainly invigorating to go after your dream job and turn up to a (initially) limited audience day after day. But at the end of the day, if it’s really your dream career, you’re going to want to do the heart of the job, even if nobody sees or hears it. If you take it seriously and keep it consistent, your dream career is waiting for you.
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.